Where We've Come From
We know that everything worthwhile has to come out of the heart and mind of at least one person who has a vision and a determination to see it through. Rev. Knutson was that person who nurtured that dream and took the leadership in the planning and construction of St. John’s Lutheran Home in Albert Lea. When Rev. Knutson came to Albert Lea in 1943, he found that many of his “shut-in” members were living in crowded private residences, and he saw the great need for a home wherein the aging might live with dignity and be given full care.
In the early fifties, he invited the pastors of the area to talk about a new retirement home. After many hours of discussion, the decision was to meet with John Mason, then director of Social Services for the aging. It was partially through his help and that of Dr. Helen Knudsen of the Board of Health, and an Albert Lea native, that a request of $168,500 from the Hill-Burton Fund was made possible. This grant became a reality when 28 Lutheran congregations formed a corporation and pledged to match the Hill-Burton grant. Together with this money and a loan from a local lending agency, it became possible to construct the first unit of St. John’s Lutheran Home in 1961; and the first community members came to the Home on January 2, 1962.
Where We're Going
St. John's strives to provide person-centered care and life; along with promoting individual choice. We believe that seniors shouldn't have to give up their life-long routines & daily pleasures when they move out of their home and into our community.
St. John's mission is to provide physical, emotional, social and Christian care for all people, with dignity and respect, in an environment of God's grace.